Admissions announcement for the academic year starting July 2017: Application process open till 31st May
List of selected candidates - first round - first list (25th July 2017)
Societies everywhere are grappling with rapid transitions to digital modes of living. Even as digital tools are heralded for making life easy, they can also throw up a range of complexities that demand competence in understanding the social lives of technology and the bearing they have on our everyday life. The proliferation of the digital as an ubiquitous part of our routine has also created an urgent need for nuanced discussions that account for both social and the technical dimension of a digital society.
Recognizing the need for professionals that can serve the demands of society's digital needs and disruptions, IIIT-Bangalore invites applications for a two-year, full-time, interdisciplinary, Masters degree in Digital Society, open to graduates from any discipline.
The programme is designed to create a group of professionals who will:
- Contribute to the design, development and deployment of digital technologies for diverse social groups;
- Provide and manage solutions that address persistent challenges in domains such as finance, education, governance, health and entertainment;
- Engage in policy making and advocacy for deploying digital technologies; and
- Enrich interdisciplinary research on the digital society.
- An under-graduate degree (of at least 3 years duration) in any discipline (including arts, science, commerce, design, management, law, engineering etc.) with a first division/class from a recognised University. Those expecting to graduate by 1st August 2017 may also apply.
- The candidates who have a valid score in CAT 2016 / CEED 2017 / TISS NET 2017 may be exempted from appearing for a written test at IIIT Bangalore.
Application and admission process
- Candidates can apply online at http://iiitb.in/applynow/
- Click here for the Instruction manual for the online application process (last updated on March 15). Click here for the Application FAQs (last updated on March 15).
- Applicants must pay a non-refundable application fee of Rs. 1000 via Netbanking or via Card on the application portal.
- Applicants are required to submit a 250 word write-up stating why they wish to be part of this programme as part of their online application. No other documents are required at this point.
- Candidates whose application is found in order will have to take a written examination at IIIT Bangalore that will test numerical/quantitative, analytical, and verbal abilities, as well as design, social, and information technology awareness. Sample questions for the entrance examination are available under 'Useful Links' section.
- Candidates who have a valid score in CAT 2016 / CEED 2017 / TISS NET 2017 can be exempted from appearing for the written test depending on their scores. Such candidates will have to submit a copy of the scorecard when called for the interview.
- All the shortlisted candidates will have to appear for an interview at IIIT Bangalore.
- The final list of candidates to be admitted will be decided after the interview. The selection will be based on performance in the interview, scores in the written test (or, in one of the three national level entrance tests mentioned above), professional experience and marks obtained in 10th, 12th and Undergraduate/ Bachelors examinations.
Tuition fees and other expenses
- The tuition fees, as applicable for admissions in July 2017, is Rs. 1,08,000/- per semester. The total tuition fees for the entire duration of the programme will be Rs. 4,32,000/ -
- In addition, students currently pay approximately Rs. 4500/- towards hostel rent and approximately Rs. 4000/- for food expenses per month. These rates are subject to revision from time to time. Other costs for books and supplies, travel, purchase of a laptop, etc. need to be factored by students depending on their individual circumstances.
Scholarships and financial support
- Scholarships will be made available to deserving admitted candidates to cover up to half of their tuition fees. Those interested to avail this will be asked to submit a separate application providing a justification of why they should be considered for the scholarship. The scholarship committee may additionally prescribe other criteria they deem fit.
- These scholarships will be funded by grants received exclusively for M.Sc. (Digital Society) students from Microsoft as well as from other internal and external sources. Our past students were also eligible to apply for scholarships funded by Societe Generale and Infosys.
- The M.Sc. (Digital Society) students can also expect a stipend of around Rs. 15,000/- per month during the last six months of the programme while working on their internship/thesis.
- 8th March 2017 : Application process for the 2017-18 academic year opens
- 10th April 2017: Last date for submitting online applications for the first round
- 15th and 16th April 2017 : Personal interviews at IIIT Bangalore for first batch of shortlisted candidates with a valid score in CAT 2016 / CEED 2017 / TISS NET 2017 who submit their applications by 7th April 2017
- 15th and 16th April 2017 : Written test and personal interviews at IIIT Bangalore for shortlisted candidates without a valid score in CAT 2016 / CEED 2017 / TISS NET 2017 who submit their applications by 7th April 2017
- 25th April 2017 : Release of first list of selected candidates
- 10th May 2017 : Payment of confirmation fees by the candidates selected in the first list
Those who apply after 7th April will be considered for admission in the second round.
- 31st May 2017 : Last date for submitting online applications (Application portal closes)
- 10th and 11th June 2017 : Personal interviews at IIIT Bangalore for all the remaining shortlisted candidates with a valid score in CAT 2016 / CEED 2017 / TISS NET 2017
- 10th and 11th June 2017 : Written test and personal interviews at IIIT Bangalore for shortlisted candidates without a valid score in CAT 2016, CEED 2017 or TISS NET 2017
- 20th June 2017 : Release of second list of selected candidates
- 30th June 2017 : Payment of confirmation fees by the candidates selected in the second list
- 1st July 2017 : Payment of balance fees for first semester and hostel/mess deposits/charges by all the selected candidates
- 14th July 2017 : Registrations for the new batch
- 17th July 2017 : Classes begin
For further queries, write to the Co-ordinator, M.Sc. (Digital Society) at: firstname.lastname@example.org