Accelerate your career in data science by mastering concepts of Analytics, Statistics, Machine Learning and Big Data from the most influential analytics leaders and academicians of India.
The 12-month online PG Diploma in Data Science, co-developed by IIIT Bangalore and powered by upGrad, covers the depth and breadth of the subject in the form of interactive lectures, live sessions and hands-on industry projects.
- Diploma from IIIT-B & Alumni Status:
Get certified by IIIT-B and gain dual alumni status (IIIT-B & upGrad) on successful completion of the program.
- For The Industry, By The Industry:
Learn from 60+ case studies and industry experts to mentor you throughout the program.
- Dedicated Career Assistance:
Receive 360 degree career support from mock interviews with hiring managers, resume building, career fairs, industry mentors and much more.
- 5 Specialisations:
Choose from 5 specialisations on the basis of your background and career aspirations and get the learning you want.
- Personalised mentorship:
Get unparalleled personalised mentorship and doubt resolution from IIIT-B faculty and upGrad’s panel of industry experts.
- Blended Learning:
Learn with the ease and flexibility of recorded sessions as well as live sessions - designed to ensure a wholesome learning experience.
The program offers a right blend of statistics, technical and business knowledge. The curriculum has been designed with multiple industry leaders to ensure that you learn exactly what the employers need. Further, a PG Program in Data Science from IIIT Bangalore gives you the additional credibility to chart your career in the field. The key areas of focus will be:
Course I - Data Toolkit:
Start from the basics and understand statistical tools like SQL, Python, Statistics. Learn with an industry project & case study to strengthen your concepts.
Course II - Machine Learning:
Understand the relevance and power of prediction across industry verticals. By the end of the course, you will have an actionable knowledge of different machine learning algorithms and their applications.
Post Course II, choose from 1 of the 5 specialisations offered as per your background and career aspirations:
Specialisation I: Natural Language Processing
Specialisation II: Deep Learning
Specialisation III: Business Analytics
Specialisation IV: Business Intelligence/ Data Analytics
Specialisation V: Data Engineering
Below are a few industry relevant projects:
- IMDb Movie Analysis
Analyze movie data from the past hundred years and find out various insights to determine what makes a movie do well.
- Uber Supply-Demand Gap
Use analytics to identify why Uber sometimes faces a supply-demand challenge and what can be done to overcome it.
- Creditworthiness of Customers
Learn how Predictive Analytics can be used to decide the creditworthiness of customers and whether they should be issued a credit card or not.
- Lead Scoring
Learn how the knowledge of basic machine learning algorithms can be used to determine leads that are potentially convertible and save your Sales team time, money, and resources.
- Fraud Detection
Decline fraud transactions on a credit card in real-time to minimize the losses so that customers are not charged for items that they did not purchase.
- Speech Recognition
Learn how Google speech-to-text works and make your own model.
- Image Captioning
Build a model which will caption a given image and describe it in sentences in a detailed way like objects present, the actions they are doing, etc.
- Social Media Listening
Learn how to acquire and analyse Twitter feed on a particular topic to predict and analyse how popular it is amongst the user-base.
- Telecom Churn
Help a telecom company identify customers that are likely to churn and make data-driven strategies to retain them.
- Retail-Giant Sales Forecasting
Help a retail-giant to have a clear idea of how their sales will look like in the future.
- Interactive Marketing Campaign Analysis
Research and analyse data from a marketing campaign to gain valuable insights and determine the ‘yays’ and ‘nays’ of the campaign.
About the Program:
1. What is the PG Diploma in Data Science with UpGrad and IIIT Bangalore?
The PG Diploma is an engaging, yet rigorous, 12-month online program designed specifically for working professionals to develop practical knowledge and skills, establish a professional network and accelerate entry into data science careers.
2. What should I expect from the PG Diploma in Data Science?
Expect to carry out several industry-relevant projects simulated as per the actual workplace, making you a skilled data science professional at par with leading industry standards.
3. What should I NOT expect from the PG Diploma in Data Science?
The program is NOT going to be easy. It will require at least 12-15 hours of your time commitment per week to apply new concepts and execute industry relevant projects.
4. What topics are going to be covered as part of the program?
The program is designed for working professionals looking for a transition into the data domain. Considering the requirements of different data roles in the industry, the curriculum is divided into five tracks. These five tracks will have a common curriculum running for approximately 5-6 months that every student will go through after which they have to do two specialization courses and a capstone project in the remaining 6-7 months. The topics that are going to be covered as a part of the common curriculum and each of the five specializations are as follows:
Common Curriculum: Basics of SQL, Python, Statistics and EDA, Basic Machine Learning Models
- Deep Learning: Advanced Machine Learning, Neural Networks
- Natural Language Processing: Advanced Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing
- Business Intelligence: Advanced SQL and NoSQL Databases, Storytelling with Advanced Visualization
- Business Analytics: Advanced Machine Learning, Storytelling and Advanced Business Problem Solving
- Data Engineering: Data Modelling and Data Warehousing, Building Data Pipelines, Data Streaming and Processing
5. Can I sign up only for a few specific modules if I am interested?
No, the program is designed to be completed in its entirety, and cannot be taken as standalone modules.
6. What type of learning experience should I expect?
The content will be largely asynchronous, comprising of interactive lectures from industry leaders and world-renowned faculty. Additionally, the program comprises of live lectures and hangout sessions dedicated to solving your academic queries and reinforcing learning.
7. What is the time commitment expected for the program?
At least 12-15 hours per week of time commitment is expected to be able to graduate from the program.
8. Is there any certification granted at the end of the program?
Post completion of the program, a PG Diploma in Data Science certificate would be awarded by IIIT – Bangalore.
Is The Program Right For Me?
1. How do I know if the program is right for me?
If you enjoy deriving insights from data and using them to inform business decisions, and have an analytical bend of mind, then this program is meant for you.
2. How do I know which specialization is the best for me?
When you’re nearing the end of your common curriculum, upGrad will provide you with a recommendation best suited for you based on your background. The following mapping should give you an idea about the specialization best suited for you although the final upGrad recommendation would come from a much more exhaustive rule engine.
- Deep Learning: Engineers, Software and IT Professionals
- Natural Language Processing: Engineers, Software and IT Professionals
- Business Intelligence/ Data Analytics: Engineers, Marketing and Sales Professionals, Freshers
- Business Analytics: Engineers, Managers, Marketing and Sales Professionals, Domain Expert
- Data Engineering: Software and IT Professionals
3. Is there any minimum educational qualification required to take this program?
To be eligible for the program, the following criteria need to be fulfilled:
College Degree: The applicant should have a Bachelor’s degree in science/engineering/business administration/commerce/mathematics/computer applications or Masters’ degree in mathematics/statistics/commerce with 50% or equivalent passing marks.
4. My current role in my company does not include data analysis. Does it make sense for me to opt for this program?
Absolutely! Data Science is becoming a necessity for all industries and is no more a choice. While there is a growing demand for quality data analysts, a constrained talent supply has made this career one of the most lucrative options across industries.
1. What is the application process and what are the timelines?
Please refer the website for the application process & the cohort start dates. You can start the application process by submitting the application. Applications have already started for the next cohort. https://www.upgrad.com/data-science-pgd-iiitb/
2. What is the selection process for this program?
upGrad, IIIT-B, world renowned faculty and many industry leaders have committed a lot of time in conceptualizing and creating this program to make sure that the candidates can receive the best possible learning experience in data science. Hence, we want to make sure that the participants of this program also show a very high level of commitment and passion towards Data Science.
The applicants will have to take a selection test designed to check their aptitude and quantitative abilities. The applicants can skip the test if they meet one of the following criteria:
- GRE score is greater than 300
- GMAT score is greater than 650
- CAT score is greater than 90 percentile.
1. What is the program fee for the PG Diploma in Data Science?
The program is priced at INR 2,85,000/- with various flexible payment options.