Admissions announcement for the academic year starting July 2020 for Indian candidates
Societies everywhere are grappling with rapid transitions to digital modes of living. Even as digital tools are heralded for making life easy, they can also throw up a range of complexities that demand competence in understanding the social lives of technology and the bearing they have on our everyday life. The proliferation of the digital as a ubiquitous part of our routine has also created an urgent need for nuanced discussions that account for both social and the technical dimension of a digital society.
Recognizing the need for professionals that can serve the demands of society's digital needs and disruptions, IIIT Bangalore invites applications for a two-year, full-time, interdisciplinary, Master’s degree in Digital Society, open to graduates from any discipline.
The programme is designed to create a group of professionals who will:
- Contribute to the design, development and deployment of digital technologies for diverse social groups;
- Provide and manage solutions that address persistent challenges in domains such as finance, education, governance, health and entertainment;
- Engage in policy making and advocacy for deploying digital technologies; and
- Enrich interdisciplinary research on the digital society.
- An under-graduate degree (of at least 3 years duration) in any discipline (including arts, science, commerce, design, management, law, engineering etc.) with a first division/class from a recognised University. Those expecting to graduate by 1st August 2020 may also apply.
- The candidates who have a valid score in CAT 2019, CEED 2020, CUCET 2020 or TISS NET 2020 may be exempted from appearing for a written test at IIIT Bangalore.
Application and admission process
- Link for the online application form and other relevant guidelines will be made available on the IIIT Bangalore website by 16th March 2020.
- Applicants must pay a non-refundable application fee of Rs. 1000/- as mentioned in the instructions on the aforesaid webpage.
- Candidates whose application is found in order will have to take a written examination at IIIT Bangalore that will test numerical/quantitative, analytical, and verbal abilities, as well as design, social, and information technology awareness. Sample questions for the entrance examination are available on the aforesaid webpage.
- Candidates who have a valid score in CAT 2019, CEED 2020, CUCET 2020 or TISS NET 2020 can be exempted from appearing for the written test depending on their scores. Such candidates will have to submit a copy of the scorecard.
- All the shortlisted candidates will have to appear for an interview at IIIT Bangalore. In exceptional circumstances, the interviews can also be conducted remotely using a video calling facility, in case the candidates are not able to travel to Bengaluru on the interview date(s). The decision of the Admissions Committee on this matter shall be final.
- The final list of candidates to be admitted will be decided after the interview. The selection will be based on performance in the interview, scores in the written test (or, in one of the four national level entrance tests mentioned above), professional experience and marks obtained in 10th, 12th and Under-graduate/Bachelor’s examinations.
Tuition fees and other expenses
- The tuition fees, as applicable for admissions in July 2020, is Rs. 1,60,000/- per semester. The total tuition fees for the entire duration of the programme (for four semesters) will be Rs. 6,40,000/-
- Hostel and Facility fees will be Rs 39,000/- per semester , Medical Insurance premium of Rs 1,250 per year, and Mess charges of approximately Rs 25,800/- plus applicable taxes per semester (Mess charges are subject to revision from time to time). Other costs for books and supplies, travel, purchase of a laptop need to be factored by students depending on their individual circumstances and Institute norms.
Scholarships and financial support
- Scholarships will be made available to up to 20 admitted students as per existing Institute policy. For students joining in July 2020, the scholarship amount is expected to be Rs. 12,400/- per month (subject to a maximum of four semesters).
- In addition, M.Sc. (Digital Society) students can also expect a stipend of Rs. 15,000-25,000/- per month during the last six months of the programme while working on their internship/thesis.
- 16th March 2020: Application process for the 2020-21 academic year opens
- 31st May 2020: Last date for submitting online applications
- 6th June 2020: Personal interviews at IIIT Bangalore for all shortlisted candidates with a valid score in CAT 2019, CEED 2020, CUCET 2020 or TISS NET 2020
- 6th June 2020: Written test and personal interviews at IIIT Bangalore for shortlisted candidates without a valid score in CAT 2019, CEED 2020, CUCET 2020 or TISS NET 2020
- 16th June 2020: Release of first list of selected candidates
- 26th June 2020: Payment of confirmation fees by the candidates selected in the first list
- 10th July 2020: Payment of balance fees for first semester and hostel/mess deposits/charges by all the selected candidates
- 15th July 2020: Registrations for the new batch
- 16th July 2020: Classes begin
* Please note that the earlier scheduled written test and personal interviews on 18th April 2020 has been cancelled in view of expected travel restrictions and inconvenience due to the emerging COVID-19 situation. Apart from the written test and personal interviews on 6th June 2020, the Admissions Committee may decide to schedule an additional round of written test and personal interviews at IIIT Bangalore in late-June/early-July, if need be.