- About Us
- Masters Programmes
- Integrated Masters Programmes
- Research Programmes
- Continuing Professional Education
- Verification Process
Research & Innovation
Centres & Platforms
- E-Health Research Centre (EHRC)
- Machine Intelligence & Robotics CoE (MINRO)
- Centre for IT & Public Policy (CITAPP)
- Cognitive Computing CoE (CCC)
- Centre for Accessibility in the Global South (CAGS)
- COMET Tech Innovation Hub (NM-ICPS)
- IIITB Innovation Centre
- Modular Open-Source Identity Platform (MOSIP)
- IMACX Open Innovation Platform (IMACX)
- Campus Life
Social Profile Links
Education : Ph.D. (TIFR Bombay)
Ramasubramanian obtained his B.S. degree from University of Madras in 1981, B.E. degree from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 1984 and the Ph.D. degree from Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Bombay in 1992. He has been engaged in research in speech processing and related areas for nearly 3 decades. He has over 70 research publications in these areas in peer reviewed international journals and conferences.
He has worked in various institutions and universities, such as TIFR, Bombay (1984-99) as Research Scholar, Fellow and Reader; University of Valencia, Spain as Visiting Scientist (1991-92); Advanced Telecommunications Research (ATR) Laboratories, Kyoto, Japan as Invited Researcher (1996-97); Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore as Research Associate (2000-04) and Siemens Corporate Research & Technology (2005-13) as Senior Member Technical Staff and as Head of Professional Speech Processing - India (2006-09) and as Professor at PES University, South Campus, Bangalore (2013-2017).
His research interests are: Speech recognition and synthesis, associative memory, machine learning, deep learning, few-shot learning, semi-supervised learning, multi-modal learning.
Speech recognition and synthesis, machine learning, deep learning, associative memory
Book / Monograph
- V. Ramasubramanian and Harish Doddala, “Ultra low bit-rate speech coding”, Springer-Brief, Springer Verlag NY, 2015.
- K. K. Paliwal and V. Ramasubramanian, “Effect of ordering the codebook on the efficiency of the partial distance search algorithm for vector quantization”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, COM- 37:538–540, May 1989.
- V. Ramasubramanian and K. K. Paliwal, “Fast K-d tree algorithms for nearest-neighbor search with application to vector quantization encoding”, IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 40(3):518–531, Mar 1992.
- V. Ramasubramanian and K. K. Paliwal, “Fast vector quantization encoding based on K-d tree backtracking search algorithm”, Digital Signal Processing, 7(3):163–187, Jul 1997.
- V. Ramasubramanian and K. K. Paliwal, “Fast nearest-neighbor search based on Voronoi projections and its application to vector quantization encoding”, IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, 7(2):221–226, Mar 1998.
- K. K. Paliwal and V. Ramasubramanian, “Comments on “Modified K-means algorithm for vector quantizer design””, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 9(11):1964–1967, Nov 2000.
- Manjunath K E, Dinesh Babu Jayagopi, K. Sreenivasa Rao, and V Ramasubramanian, “Development and analysis of multilingual phone recognition systems using Indian languages”, International Journal of Speech Technology, (Springer), pp. 1-12, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10772-018-09589-z, Jan. 2019.
- V. Ramasubramanian and K. K. Paliwal, “An efficient approximation-elimination algorithm for fast nearest-neighbor search”, In Proc. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP ’92), pages I–89–I–92, San Francisco, California, Mar 1992.
- V. Ramasubramanian, A. K. V. Sai Jayram, and T. V. Sreenivas, “Language identification using parallel sub-word recognition – an ergodic HMM equivalence”, In Proc. 8th European Conference on Speech Communication and Technology (EUROSPEECH ’03), pp. 1357–1360, Geneva, Switzerland, Sep 2003.
- V. Ramasubramanian, P. Srinivas and T. V. Sreenivas, “Stochastic pronunciation modeling by ergodic-HMM of acoustic sub-word units”, In Proc. 9th European Conference on Speech Communication and Technology (INTERSPEECH - EUROSPEECH ’05), pp. 1361–1364, Lisbon, Portugal, Sep. 2005.
- V. Ramasubramanian and D. Harish, “An unified unit-selection framework for ultra low bit-rate speech coding”, In Proc. INTERSPEECH-2006, pp. 217–220, Pittsburgh, Sept 2006.
- V. Ramasubramanian and D. Harish, “An optimal unit-selection algorithm for ultra low bit-rate speech coding”, In Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP’07), pp. IV-541–544, Hawaii, 2007.
- V. Ramasubramanian, Kaustubh Kulkarni and Bernhard Kaemmerer, “Acoustic modeling by phoneme templates and one-pass DP decoding for continuous speech recognition”, In Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, (ICASSP ’08), pp. 4105–4108, Las Vegas, Mar 2008
- D. Harish and V. Ramasubramanian, “Comparison of segment quantizers: VQ, MQ, VLSQ and Unit-selection algorithms for ultra low bit-rate speech coding”, In Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP ’08), pp. 4773–4776, Las Vegas, Mar 2008.
- Srikanth Cherla, Kaustubh Kulkarni, Amit Kale, V. Ramasubramanian, “Towards Fast, View Invariant Human Action Recognition”, In IEEE Workshop for Human Communicative Behavior Analysis at CVPR 2008, Anchorage, Alaska, Aug 2008.
- V. Ramasubramanian and D. Harish, “Low complexity near-optimal unit-selection algorithm for ultra low bit-rate speech coding based on N-best lattice and Viterbi decoding”, In Proc. INTERSPEECH-2008, pp. 44, Brisbane, Sep 2008.
- Kaustubh Kulkarni, Srikanth Cherla, Amit Kale, V. Ramasubramanian, “A Framework for Indexing Human Actions in Video”, In 1st International Workshop on Machine Learning for Vision-Based Motion Analysis at ECCV 2008, Marseille, France, Oct 2008.
- V. Ramasubramanian and D. Harish, “Ultra low bit-rate speech coding based on unit-selection with joint spectral-residual quantization: No transmission of any residual information”, In Proc. INTERSPEECH-2009, pp. 2615-2618, Brighton, UK, Sep 2009.
- Srikanth Cherla and V. Ramasubramanian, “Audio analytics by template modeling and 1-pass DP based decoding”, In Proc. INTERSPEECH-2010, pp. 2230-2233, Chiba, Japan, Sep 2010.
- V. Ramasubramanian, R. Karthik, S. Thiyagarajan and Srikanth Cherla, “Continuous audio analytics by HMM and Viterbi decoding”, In Proc. ICASSP’ 11, pp. 2396-2399, Prague, Czech Republic, May 2011.
- V. Ramasubramanian, S. Thiyagarajan, G. Pradnya, Heiko Claussen, Justinian Rosca, “Two-class verifier framework for audio indexing”, In Proc. ICASSP ’13, Vancouver, Canada, 2013.
- Akshay Khatwani, R. Komala Pawar, N. Sushma, L. Sudha, S. Adithya and V. Ramasubramanian, “Spoken document retrieval: Sub-sequence DTW framework and variants”, In 3rd International Conference on Mining Intelligence and Knowledge Exploration (MIKE 2015), Dec 9 - 11, 2015, Published as Springer LNAI proceedings.
- S. Adithya, Sunil Rao, C. Mahima, S. Vishnu, Mythri Thippareddy and V. Ramasubramanian, “Template Based Techniques for Automatic Segmentation of TTS Unit Database”, In Proc. IEEE International Conference in Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP ’16), Shanghai, March 2016.
- Mythri Thippareddy, Noor Fathima, D. N. Krishna, Sricharan and V. Ramasubramanian, “Phonetically conditioned prosody transplantation for TTS: 2-stage phone-level unit-selection framework”, In Proc. Speech Prosody ’16, Boston, June 2016.
- Y. Vaishnavi, R. Shreyas, S. Suhas, U. N. Surya, Vandana M. Ladwani, V. Ramasubramanian, “Associative memory framework for speech recognition: Adaptation of Hopfield network”, Proc. IEEE INDICON '16, Bangalore, India, 2016.
- Vandana M. Ladwani, Y. Vaishnavi, R. Shreyas, B.R. Vinay Kumar, N. Harish, S. Yogesh, P. Shivaganga, V. Ramasubramanian, “Hopfield Net Framework for Audio Search”, In Proc. NCC-2017, IIT-M, Chennai, India, 2017.
- Anusha Kamat, Abhishek Krishnamurthy, D. N. Krishna, V. Ramasubramanian, “Prosodic differential for narrow-focus word-stress in speech synthesis”, In Proc. NCC-2017, IIT-M, Chennai, India, 2017.
- Vandana M. Ladwani, Y. Vaishnavi, and V. Ramasubramanian, “Hopfield auto-associative memory network for content-based text-retrieval”, Proc. ICANN-2017, 26th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks, Alghero, Italy, Sep 11-14, 2017.
- M. Chellapriyadharshini, Anoop Toffy, V Ramasubramanian, “Semi-supervised and active learning scenarios: Efficient acoustic model refinement for a low resource Indian language,” Proc. Interspeech ’18, Hyderabad, Sep 2018.
- Manjunath K E, K. Sreenivasa Rao, Dinesh Babu Jayagopi, and V Ramasubramanian, “Indian languages ASR: A multilingual phone recognition framework with IPA based common phone-set, predicted articulatory features and feature fusion”, Proc. Interspeech '18, Hyderabad, Sep 2018.
- Rachna Shriwas, Prasun Joshi, Vandana M. Ladwani, and V. Ramasubramanian, “Multi-modal associative storage and retrieval using Hopfield auto-associative memory network”, ICANN-2019, 28th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks, Munich, Germany, Sep 17-19, 2019
- Kaajal Gupta, Tilak Purohit, Anzar Zulfiqar, Pushpa Ramu, V. Ramasubramanian, “Detection of emotional states of OCD patients in an exposure-response prevention therapy scenario”, in the ‘Speech, Music and Mind 2019 (SMM-2019) Workshop- Detecting and Influencing Mental States with Audio’, Vienna, Austria, Satellite Workshop of Interspeech-2019, Graz, Sep 2019.
Speech Processing (DS / NC 822) Jan-Apr 2018
Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) (DS / NE 821) Jan-Apr 2017, (DS / NC 824) Aug-Dec 2018, (DS / SP 823) Jan-Apr 2019
Deep Learning for Automatic Speech Recognition (DL-ASR) (DS / NC 871) Aug-Dec 2017, (DS / SP 826) Aug-Dec 2019
Linear Algebra (GEN 504) Aug-Dec 2017
Machine Learning (CS / DS 612) Jan-Apr 2018
Maths for Machine Learning (GEN 611) Jan-Apr 2018, (GEN 512) Aug-Dec 2018, (GEN 512) Aug-Dec 2019
1. Cogknit Semantics Pvt Ltd. on telephony speech transcription.
2. Kaizen Secure Voice, NJ, USA (Chennai, India) on voice-biometrics solutions and speech analytics.