- About Us
- Master's Programmes
- Integrated Programmes
- Research Programmes
- Continuing Professional Education
- Deans List
- Summer Internship
- Student Merit Scholarship
- Life @ IIITB
Social Profile Links
Education : Ph.D. (University of Iowa)
Shrisha Rao received his Ph.D. in computer science from the University of Iowa, and before that his M.S. in logic and computation from Carnegie Mellon University. He is a professor at IIIT-Bangalore, a graduate school of information technology in Bangalore, India.
Dr. Rao is an ACM Distinguished Speaker and a Senior Member of the IEEE. He is also a life member of the American Mathematical Society and the Computer Society of India.
His primary research interests are in artificial intelligence and agent-based modeling, including in bioinformatics and computational biology. He also works on algorithms and approaches for resource management in complex systems such as used in cloud computing, and also has interests in energy efficiency, computational sustainability, and intelligent transportation systems.
Dr. Rao has been a reviewer for many journals/transactions of the IEEE and ACM, and has served as a program committee member for several international conferences. He has also been a regular reviewer, with over 90 published reviews, for the ACM Computing Reviews journal (computingreviews.com), which reviews a sample of the latest publications related to the computing sciences.
Dr. Rao is a contributing member of the LITD 14 "Software and System Engineering" sectional committee (a national mirror committee of the ISO/IEC sub-committees JTC 1/SC 7 Software and System Engineering, and JTC 1/SC 38 Cloud Computing) of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). He is also a member of the LITD 31 "Cloud Computing, IT & Data Centers" sectional committee, which mirrors ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC 38 "Cloud Computing and Distributed Platforms” as well as ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC 39 "Sustainability, IT & Data Centers."
Dr. Rao is also a member of the Expert Committee on Technology for the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) which comes under the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
renewable energy, intelligent transportation systems, computational sustainability, agent-based modeling , artificial intelligence
Artificial Intelligence and Related
- Sheril Lawrence, Aishwarya Yandapalli, Shrisha Rao. Matrix Multiplication by Neuromorphic Computing. Neurocomputing, vol. 431, March 2021, pp. 179–187. doi:10.1016/j.neucom.2020.10.064. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Nanda Kishore Sreenivas, Shrisha Rao. Analyzing the Effects of Memory Biases and Mood Disorders on Social Performance. Scientific Reports, vol. 10, 20895, December 2020. (An abstract appeared previously at AAMAS 2020.) doi:10.1038/s41598-020-77715-6. PMID: 33262387. PMCID: PMC7708996. Report. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Arun M. George, Rahul Sharma, Shrisha Rao. IEEE 754 Floating-Point Addition for Neuromorphic Architecture. Neurocomputing, vol. 366 (13), November 2019, pp. 74–85. doi:10.1016/j.neucom.2019.05.093. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Nanda Kishore Sreenivas, Shrisha Rao. Egocentric Bias and Doubt in Cognitive Agents. 18th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2019), Montreal, Canada, May 2019. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Aditya Hegde, Vibhav Agarwal, Shrisha Rao. Ethics, Prosperity, and Society: Moral Evaluation Using Virtue Ethics and Utilitarianism. 29th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, and the 17th Pacific Rim International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-PRICAI 2020). doi:10.24963/ijcai.2020/24. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Gopalakrishnan Venkatesh, Aayush Grover, G. Srinivasaraghavan, Shrisha Rao. MHCAttnNet: predicting MHC-peptide bindings for MHC alleles classes I & II using an attention-based deep neural model. 28th Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB 2020). Bioinformatics (Oxford University Press), vol. 36 (Supplement 1), July 2020, pp. i399–i406. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/btaa479. PMID: 32657386. PMCID: PMC7355292. (This paper was briefly covered by CACM and ACM TechNews, based on a report in technology.org.) [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Juhi Singh, Atharva Deshpande, Shrisha Rao. Modeling Pedestrian Behavior Under Panic During a Fire Emergency. 20th International Workshop on Multi-Agent Systems and Agent-Based Simulation (MABS 2019), Montreal, Canada, May 2019 (published November 2020). doi:10.1007/978-3-030-60843-9_2. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Ananth Shreekumar, Biswesh Mohapatra, Shrisha Rao Incorporating Autonomous Bargaining Capabilities into E-Commerce Systems. 20th ACM International Conference on Intelligent Virtual Agents (IVA 2020), October 2020. doi:10.1145/3383652.3423865. Report. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Ahmad Shayaan, Indu Ilanchezian, Shrisha Rao. Prediction of Malaria Vaccination Outcomes from Gene Expression Data. 10th International Conference on Bioinformatics Models, Methods and Algorithms (BIOINFORMATICS 2019), Prague, Czech Republic, February 2019. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Anup Anand Deshmukh, Pratheeksha Nair, Shrisha Rao. A Scalable Clustering Algorithm for Serendipity in Recommender Systems. IEEE International Conference on Data Mining Workshops (ICDMW 2018), Singapore, November, 2018. doi:10.1109/ICDMW.2018.00182. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Ashutosh Trivedi, Shrisha Rao. Agent-Based Modeling of Emergency Evacuations Considering Human Panic Behavior. IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems, vol. 5 (1), March 2018, pp. 277–288. doi:10.1109/TCSS.2017.2783332. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF] [Video]
- Akshay Jindal, Shrisha Rao. Agent-Based Modeling and Simulation of Mosquito-Borne Disease Transmission. Sixteenth International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2017), pp. 426–435, São Paulo, Brazil, May 2017. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Sneha Singhania, Nigel Fernandez, Shrisha Rao. 3HAN: A Deep Neural Network for Fake News Detection. 24th International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP 2017), Guangzhou, China, November 2017, pp. 572–581. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-70096-0_59. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Meghana Madhyastha, Sriveda Reddy, Shrisha Rao. Online Scheduling of a Fleet of Autonomous Vehicles Using Agent-Based Procurement Auctions. IEEE International Conference on Service Operations and Logistics, and Informatics (SOLI 2017), Bari, Italy, September 2017, pp. 114–120. doi:10.1109/SOLI.2017.8120980. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Prabodh K. Enumula, Shrisha Rao. The Potluck Problem. Economics Letters 107 (1), April 2010, pp. 10–12. doi:10.1016/j.econlet.2009.12.011. arXiv:0809.2136v2 [cs.GT]. [Abstract] [BibTeX]
- Karthik Revanuru, Kaushik Turlapaty, Shrisha Rao. Neural Machine Translation of Indian Languages. ACM Compute 2017: 10th Annual ACM India Conference, Bhopal, India, November 2017. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
Cloud Computing and Related
- G. Vinu Prasad, Abhinandan S. Prasad, Shrisha Rao. A Combinatorial Auction Mechanism for Multiple Resource Procurement in Cloud Computing. IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, vol. 6 (4), October–December 2018, pp. 904–914. doi:10.1109/TCC.2016.2541150 (supersedes doi:10.1109/ISDA.2012.6416561). [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Jyotiska N. Khasnabish, Mohammad Firoj Mithani, Shrisha Rao. Tier-Centric Resource Allocation in Multi-Tier Cloud Systems. IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, vol. 5 (3), July–September 2017, pp. 576–589. doi:10.1109/TCC.2015.2424888 (supersedes doi:10.1109/SysCon.2012.6189471). [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Parvathy S. Pillai, Shrisha Rao. Resource Allocation in Cloud Computing Using the Uncertainty Principle of Game Theory. IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 10 (2), June 2016, pp. 637–648. doi:10.1109/JSYST.2014.2314861. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Abhinandan S. Prasad, Shrisha Rao. A Mechanism Design Approach to Resource Procurement in Cloud Computing. IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 63 (1), January 2014, pp. 17–30. doi:10.1109/TC.2013.106. MR3148716. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Akshay Narayan, Shrisha Rao. Power-Aware Cloud Metering. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, vol. 7 (3), July–September 2014, pp. 440–451. doi:10.1109/TSC.2013.22. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Paul C. Hershey, Shrisha Rao, Charles B. Silio Jr., Akshay Narayan. System of Systems for Quality of Service Observation and Response in Cloud Computing Environments. IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 9 (1), March 2015, pp. 212–222 (Special Issue on “Systems Engineering in Cooperative and Competitive Distributed Decision Making for Complex Dynamic Systems,” H. Dagdougui, M. Henshaw, E. Hubbard, R. Sacile, eds.). doi:10.1109/JSYST.2013.2295961. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF] (Supersedes doi:10.1109/SYSoSE.2012.6384208 — [Best Paper] at 7th IEEE International Conference on System of Systems Engineering (SOSE 2012), Genoa, Italy, July 2012; see [Slides].)
- Nidhi Singh, Shrisha Rao. Ensemble Learning for Large-Scale Workload Prediction. IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, vol. 2 (2), June 2014, pp. 149–165. doi:10.1109/TETC.2014.2310455. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Akshay Narayan, Shrisha Rao, Gaurav Ranjan, Kumar Dheenadayalan. Smart Metering of Cloud Services. 6th Annual IEEE International Systems Conference (IEEE SysCon 2012), Vancouver, Canada, March 2012. doi:10.1109/SysCon.2012.6189462. [Abstract] [BibTeX]
- Sumit Kumar Bose, Scott Brock, Ronald Skeoch, Shrisha Rao. CloudSpider: Combining Replication with Scheduling for Optimizing Live Migration of Virtual Machines Across Wide Area Networks. 11th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud, and Grid Computing (CCGrid 2011), Newport Beach, California, May 2011. doi:10.1109/CCGrid.2011.16. [BibTeX]
Energy and Related
- Pragati Agrawal, Shrisha Rao. Energy-Efficient Scheduling: Classification, Bounds, and Algorithms. Sādhanā, to appear (supersedes doi:10.1145/2768510.2768528). arXiv:1609.06430 [cs.DC]. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Deya Chatterjee, Shrisha Rao. Computational Sustainability: A Socio-Technical Perspective. ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 53 (5), Article 101, 2020. doi:10.1145/3409797. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Amrutha Muralidharan, Horia A. Maior, Shrisha Rao. A Self-Governing and Decentralized Network of Smart Objects to Share Electrical Power Autonomously. Chapter 2 in Sustainable Cloud and Energy Services: Principles and Practices (W. Rivera, ed.), pp. 25–48, Springer, 2018. ISBN 978-3-319-62237-8. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-62238-5_2. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Pragati Agrawal, Damien Borgetto, Carmela Comito, Georges Da Costa, Jean-Marc Pierson, Payal Prakash, Shrisha Rao, Domenico Talia, Cheikhou Thiam, Paolo Trunfio. Scheduling and Resource Allocation. Chapter 8 in Large Scale Distributed Systems and Energy Efficiency: A Holistic View (J.-M. Pierson, ed.), Wiley Series in Parallel and Distributed Computing (#6079), March 2015. ISBN 978-1118864630. [BibTeX]
- Pragati Agrawal, Shrisha Rao. Energy-Aware Scheduling of Distributed Systems. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, vol. 11 (4), October 2014, pp. 1163–1175. doi:10.1109/TASE.2014.2308955 (supersedes doi:10.1109/SysCon.2012.6189481). [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF] [Video]
- Nidhi Singh, Shrisha Rao. Modeling and Reducing Power Consumption in Large IT Systems. 4th Annual IEEE International Systems Conference, (IEEE SysCon 2010), San Diego, April 2010. doi:10.1109/SYSTEMS.2010.5482354. (This paper was the basis for US Patent 8,626,902, also titled Modeling and Reducing Power Consumption in Large IT Systems, granted January 7, 2014.)
- Chandrashekhar Lavania, Shrisha Rao, Eswaran Subrahmanian. Reducing Variation in Solar Energy Supply Through Frequency Domain Analysis. IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 6 (2), June 2012, pp. 196–204 (Special Section on “Integration of Intermittent Renewable Energy Resources into Power Grid,” L. Wang, C. Singh, A. Kusiak, eds.). doi:10.1109/JSYST.2011.2162796. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Sudha Mani, Shrisha Rao. Operating Cost Aware Scheduling Model for Distributed Servers Based on Global Power Pricing Policies. Compute 2011: The 4th ACM Bangalore Conference, Bangalore, March 2011. doi:10.1145/1980422.1980434. [Abstract] [BibTeX]
- Indrani Maity, Shrisha Rao. Simulation and Pricing Mechanism Analysis of a Solar-Powered Electrical Microgrid. IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 4 (3), September 2010, pp. 275–284 (Special Issue on “Identification and Control of Sustainable Energy Systems,” R. Sacile, ed.). doi:10.1109/JSYST.2010.2059110. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Abirami Ariyur Mahadevan, Anagha Vishnuvajjala, Naman Dosi, Shrisha Rao. A Predictive Model for Drug-Drug Interaction Using a Similarity Measure. 16th IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (IEEE CIBCB 2019), Certosa di Pontignano, Siena - Tuscany, Italy, July 2019. doi:10.1109/CIBCB.2019.8791458. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Raghavendra Totamane, Amit Dasgupta, Shrisha Rao. Air Cargo Demand Modeling and Prediction. IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 8 (1), March 2014, pp. 52–62. doi:10.1109/JSYST.2012.2218511 (supersedes doi:10.1109/SYSTEMS.2009.4815835). [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Shyamakshi Ghosh, Shrisha Rao, Balkrishnan Venkiteswaran. Sensor Network Design for Smart Highways. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics—Part A: Systems and Humans, vol. 42 (5), September 2012, pp. 1291–1300. doi:10.1109/TSMCA.2012.2187185 (supersedes doi:10.1109/COASE.2009.5234136). [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Jyotiska N. Khasnabish, Ananda Prakash Verma, Shrisha Rao. Implementing a Publish-Subscribe Distributed Notification System on Hadoop. ICT and Critical Infrastructure: Proceedings of the 48th Annual Convention of Computer Society of India, vol. 1, pp. 543–553. Springer ser. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 248, December 2013. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-03107-1_60.
- Aparna Raj, Kamaldeep Kaur, Uddipan Dutta, Sandeep Venkat, Shrisha Rao. Enhancement of Hadoop Clusters with Virtualization Using the Capacity Scheduler. 3rd International Conference on Services in Emerging Markets (ICSEM 2012), Mysore, India, December 2012, pp. 50–57. doi:10.1109/ICSEM.2012.15.
- Abhinandan M. Kulkarni, Janani Thirunavukkarasu, Parvathy Pillai, Sneha Somanath Sulegai, Shrisha Rao. Insertion and Querying Mechanism For a Distributed XML Database System. Compute '12: Proceedings of the 5th ACM COMPUTE Conference: Intelligent & Scalable System Technologies, Pune, India, January 2012. doi:10.1145/2459118.2459128.
- Arun Kalyanasundaram, Bodhisatta B. Roy, Shrisha Rao. Exploiting Data Parallelism in SELinux Using a Multicore Processor. 47th Annual Convention of Computer Society of India, Kolkata, India, December 2012. [PDF]
- Nandakumar Mysore, Prakash Nenavat, Rasmi Unnithan, Ravi Mulukutla, Shrisha Rao. An Efficient Algorithm for RFID Reader Positioning for Coverage of Irregularly-Shaped Areas. 5th Annual IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (IEEE CASE 2009), Bangalore, India, August 2009. doi:10.1109/COASE.2009.5234161. [Abstract] [BibTeX]
- Bharath Cheluvaraju, A.S. Ramachandra Kousik, Shrisha Rao. Anticipatory Retrieval and Caching of Data for Mobile Devices in Variable Bandwidth Environments. 5th Annual IEEE International Systems Conference (IEEE SysCon 2011), Montreal, Canada, April 2011. doi:10.1109/SYSCON.2011.5929049. [Abstract] [BibTeX]
- Sanjay Jaiswal, Siddharth Trivedi, Rituraj Kumar, Shrisha Rao. Comparative Performance Evaluation of TCP Hybla and TCP Cubic for Satellite Communication Under Low Error Conditions. 4th IEEE International Conference on Internet Multimedia Systems Architecture and Application (IMSAA-2010), Bangalore, December 2010. doi:10.1109/IMSAA.2010.5729424. [Abstract] [BibTeX]
- Kamal Chaturvedi, Shrisha Rao. Distributed Elections Using Site-Push Majority Winner Monitoring. IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 14 (2), June 2020, pp. 1682–1691. doi:10.1109/JSYST.2019.2900005. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Shree Krishna Subburaj, Shrisha Rao. Theory and Agent-Based Modeling of Taxpayer Preference and Behavior. 22nd International Symposium on Distributed Simulation and Real Time Applications (IEEE/ACM DS-RT 2018), Madrid, Spain, October, 2018. doi:10.1109/DISTRA.2018.8601000. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Samiksha Sarwari, Shrisha Rao. Network Flows Under Thermal Restrictions. Nature-Inspired Networking: Theory and Applications (Editor: Phan Cong Vinh). CRC Press - Taylor & Francis Group, 2017.
- Apoorva Honnegowda Roopa, Shrisha Rao. A Distance Function for Comparing Straight-Edge Geometric Figures. Chapter in Advances in Soft Computing and Machine Learning in Image Processing (A. E. Hassanien, D. A. Oliva, eds.), pp. 595–626, Springer, 2018. ISBN 978-3-319-63753-2. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-63754-9_27. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Avinash Saxena, Shrisha Rao. Degradation Analysis of Probabilistic Parallel Choice Systems. International Journal of Reliability, Quality and Safety Engineering, vol. 21(3), June 2014. doi:10.1142/S0218539314500120. arXiv:1404.5406 [cs.PF].
- Syed Eqbal Alam, Shrisha Rao, Bijan Davvaz. (m,n)-Semirings and a Generalized Fault Tolerance Algebra of Systems. Journal of Applied Mathematics, Article ID 482391, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/482391. [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Jeremiah Barr, Shrisha Rao. The n-Queens Problem in Higher Dimensions. Elemente der Mathematik, 61 (4), 2006, pp. 133–137. arXiv:0712.2309v1 [math.CO]. Review at io-port.net (Zentralblatt MATH). [Abstract] [BibTeX] [PDF]
- Operating Systems (Spring 2007, Spring 2008, Spring 2009, Spring 2010, Spring 2011, Spring 2012, Spring 2013)
- Design and Analysis of Safety-Critical Systems (Fall 2006, Fall 2008)
- Graph Theory and Applications (Fall 2006)
- Distributed Computing (Fall 2007, Fall 2009, Fall 2010, Fall 2012, Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Fall 2015, Fall 2016)
- Special Topics: Artificial Intelligence (Spring 2009)
- Artificial Intelligence (Fall 2010, Fall 2011, Spring 2014, Spring 2015, Spring 2016, Spring 2017, Fall 2017, Fall 2018, Fall 2019, Fall 2020)
- Introduction to Automata Theory and Computability (Spring 2015, Spring 2016, Spring 2017, Fall 2017, Fall 2018, Fall 2019, Fall 2020)
- Logic in Computer Science (Fall 2011)
- Manju Nanda (Ph.D., 2014, specialization in software engineering)
Thesis: Novel Functional Availability Analysis Technique Using System Algebra For Safety Critical Systems
Current Position: Principal Scientist, National Aerospace Laboratories, Bangalore
- Subramanian Neelakantan (Ph.D., 2014, specialization in computer networking)
Thesis: Threat-Aware Intrusion Detection Approach for Dynamic Network Environments
Current Position: Joint Director, C-DAC, Pune
- Nidhi Singh (Ph.D., 2016, specialization in machine learning)
Thesis: Online Learning Mechanisms for Large Scale Workload Prediction
Current Position: Director of Research, Elisa Corp., Helsinki, Finland
- Pragati Agrawal (Ph.D., 2016, specialization in approximation algorithms)
Thesis: Algorithmic Approaches to Energy-Efficient Scheduling
Current Position: Assistant Professor, NIT Bhopal
- Karishma (2018—present, specialization in learning under constraints)
- Arun Kalakanti (2020—present, specialization in algorithms for electric vehicle charging and scheduling)
M.Sc. (Applied Mathematics)
- Samiksha Sarwari (M.Sc., 2017, from IIT Roorkee)
Thesis: Routing Algorithms for Thermal Networks
Current Position: Strategist, Goldman Sachs
- Sushravya G.M. (M.Tech., 2017)
Thesis: Network Grafting: A Novel Approach to Autonomous Transfer in Deep Reinforcement Learning
- Payal Prakash (M.Tech., 2013)
Thesis: Cost-Aware Scheduling Using Differential Evolution for Electricity Consumers Connected to a Smart Grid
- Shreepriya Dogra (M.Tech., 2013; joint with Meenakshi D'Souza)
Thesis: Reliability Analysis Using Model Libraries Designed in SysML
- Akshay Narayan (M.Tech., 2012)
Thesis: Power-Aware Cloud Metering
- Rahul Prabhu (M.Tech., 2012)
Thesis: Notification of Events in Data Streams Using Fuzzy Matching in Publish/Subscribe Systems
- Karthikeyan G.V. (M.Tech., 2011)
Thesis: Enhancing Association Rule Mining Using Domain Knowledge And Conditional Probability
- Nesha Rani Manchukonda (M.Tech., 2011)
Thesis: Efficient Content Delivery in Publish-Subscribe Systems Using Dynamic Clustering of Subscriptions
- Vasanth Vallabh B. Naib (M.Tech., 2011)
Thesis: A P2P Approach For Automating Seamless Connectivity Given Intermittent Bandwidth Constraints
- Abhinandan S. Prasad (M.Tech, 2011)
Thesis: A Mechanism Design Approach To Resource Procurement In Cloud Computing
- Syed Ather M.H. Qadri (M.Tech., 2011)
Thesis: A Secure Group-Based Dynamic Security Model for Publish-Subscribe Systems
- Bodhisatta Barman Roy (M.Tech., 2011; joint with Meenakshi D'Souza)
Thesis: A Formal Model for YAML
- G. Md. Nabi Saheb (M.Tech., 2011)
Thesis: Transfer of Access Credentials to Roles in RBAC
- Syed Eqbal Alam (M.Tech., 2010)
Thesis: (m,n)-Semirings and a Fault-Tolerance Algebra of Systems
- Chandrashekhar Lavania (M.Tech., 2010) Project: Reducing Variation in Solar Energy Supply Through Frequency Domain Analysis
- Balkrishnan Venkiteswaran (M.Tech., 2010)
Thesis: Context-Aware Services Using a Wireless Sensor Network
- Harsha K. (M.Tech., 2009)
Thesis: Auctions for Core Selection in Multicore Schedulers
- Indrani Maity (M.Tech., 2009) Project: Design and Simulation of Renewable-Energy Microgrids
- Prabodh K. Enumula (M.Tech., 2008)
Thesis: Coalition Formation Under Uncertain Task Information, Using the Uncertainty Principle of Game Theory
- Babita Grover (M.Tech., 2008)
Thesis: Central Forests in Trees
- Srinidhi C.R. (M.Tech., 2008)
Thesis: Distributed Construction of Spanning Trees in the Presence of Faults
Grants and Related (selected):
- IBM Faculty Award of USD $10,000, for research in "Power-Efficient Systems and Autonomic Computing," November 2007.
- Unisys Global Services India travel/research grant of INR Rs. 200,000, February 2009. Travel/research grant of INR Rs. 300,000 from the same source, February 2010.
- Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (CAIR), DRDO, Contract for Acquisition of Research Services (CARS) agreement, January 2010, worth INR Rs. 800,000 over a 24-month period.
Mahābhārata Hemistich Index:
A श्लोकार्धसूची of the entire BORI is available here. PDF, 1243 two-column pages, Devanagari text, about 10 MB. This appears to be the first such index covering the entire epic. (Joint work with Abhinandan S. Prasad.)
ACM, IEEE, American Mathematical Society, Mathematical Association of America, International Solar Energy Society, Indian Mathematical Society, Computer Society of India.
- Reviewer for IEEE Sensors Journal, IEEE Systems Journal, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, IEEE Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, IEEE Transactions on Computers, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, and IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- Maintainer of the xetex-itrans package on CTAN.
- Member of faculty selection committee for the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), New Delhi, August 2008.
- Examiner for CA-Inter examination paper in Information Technology for the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), November-December 2007.
- Admissions interview panelist for admissions to the MBA program in International Business at the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), February 2009.
- Judge for the final of the Intel Scholar Program (annual research contest for undergraduate engineering students), February 2009.
- Featured Reviewer for computingreviews.com, the online version of ACM Computing Reviews, March 2010.
- Owner of the American Mathematical Society group on LinkedIn.
योऽसौ देवो विश्वदीपः प्रदीप्तः कुर्मः सर्वं तत्परानुग्रहेण