- About Us
- Masters Programmes
- Integrated Masters Programmes
- Research Programmes
- Continuing Professional Education
- Verification Process
Research & Innovation
Centres & Platforms
- E-Health Research Centre (EHRC)
- Machine Intelligence & Robotics CoE (MINRO)
- Centre for IT & Public Policy (CITAPP)
- Cognitive Computing CoE (CCC)
- Centre for Accessibility in the Global South (CAGS)
- COMET Tech Innovation Hub (NM-ICPS)
- IIITB Innovation Centre
- Modular Open-Source Identity Platform (MOSIP)
- Campus Life
Infosys Foundation Chair Professor
Education : Ph.D. (University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign)
I am the Infosys Foundation Chair Professor at IIIT Bangalore and co-founder and CEO of VideoKen, an educational technology startup. Served as Vice President and Director of Xerox Research Center India (XRCI) from 2013-2016, helping build XRCI into a world class research center. Earlier helped take IBM Research - India to a high level of impact on IBM business (recognized internally through a record number of IBM Research Division Accomplishments) and significant external recognition (13 best paper awards at international conferences during my tenure of four years). Led research at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center on system software for the Blue Gene supercomputer, for which IBM received the National Medal of Technology and Innovation in 2009 from the US President, and other Deep Computing platforms. Have received an Outstanding Innovation Award, two Outstanding Technical Achievement Awards, and the Lou Gerstner Award for Client Excellence at IBM. I have co-authored about 75 papers in the areas of parallel computing, high performance compilers, and Java Virtual Machine optimizations, with over 6,000 citations in Google Scholar and an h-index of 42, and have been granted 19 US patents. Have served on the US National Science Foundation Committee of Visitors and have been invited to give keynotes at several international conferences like ICSOC, IPDPS, DEBS and HiPC. Currently serving as Chair of IKDD, the ACM India Chapter for Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. I am an ACM Fellow, a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering, and have received a Distinguished Alumnus Award from Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- Ph.D. Computer Science, September 1992.
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois.
- M.S. Computer and Information Science, December 1988
The Ohio State University, Columbus,
- B. Tech., Computer Science and Engineering, May 1987
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India.
Infosys Foundation Chair Professor, IIIT Bangalore, Bangalore, India.
Co-founder and CEO, VideoKen Inc.
January 2017 – Present
Leading research on technologies for online learning and a startup developing an advanced learning platform.
Xerox Research Center India, Bangalore, India.
Vice President and Director, June 2013 – December 2016
Have helped develop Xerox Research Center India (XRCI) into a world class lab with outstanding contributions in areas like data analytics and mobile computing applied to problems in industry verticals such as healthcare, transportation and education, and horizontals like customer care. Our technologies have been used in Xerox Services solutions and our researchers received external recognition like the MIT Innovators in India 2016, MIT TR 35 Innovators under 35 in 2015, ERS IASC Young Researchers Award for 2014 in Geneva, and best PhD Theses awards in India in 2014 and 2015.
Goldman Sachs India, Bangalore, India.
Managing Director, Technology Division, October 2012 – May 2013.
Led the Technology Infrastructure Engineering group at Goldman Sachs, Bangalore, which included groups developing technologies related to cloud, middleware, databases, Linux servers, networks, voice systems, and virtual desktop infrastructure. Identified a key opportunity for the firm to build an advanced data analytics group that could serve different business functions, including investment banking, trading, operations, compliance, and cybersecurity.
IBM Research - India, New Delhi and Bangalore, India.
Director and Chief Technologist, IBM India/South Asia, Feb 2010 – Sept 2012.
(Associate Director, May 2008–January 2010)
Helped grow IBM Research – India into a world class lab with about two hundred researchers working in areas like mobile computing, business analytics, software engineering, systems management, high performance computing, and information management. Led the IBM Research activities across the world in the Mobile Web area. The lab became well known for major innovations in global service delivery and solutions for emerging markets. Some examples are Spoken Web (a platform for building the equivalent of the world-wide web using the spoken word in a telecom network), which received the 2009 National Award from President of India for Empowering Persons with Disability, Voice of Customer Analytics, which became a CRM offering from the IBM GPS business CaaTS for cleansing data in the Indian context (later adopted globally), and SNAzzy for social networking analysis. Our work had very significant impact on IBM business (recognized through IBM Research Division Accomplishments) and our people received thirteen best paper awards at international conferences between 2009 and 2012.
IBM India Systems and Technology Laboratory, Bangalore, India.
Chief Technology Officer, April 2006-April 2008.
Responsible for setting the technical strategy of the IBM Systems and Technology Lab in India. During this period, the lab grew from 500 to over 1200 people working on IBM server and storage products. Helped initiate several strategic projects in the system software area and helped establish the Semiconductor Research and Development Center (previously located only in the US) at Bangalore, which became highly successful. Also managed the Lab Services group, which was responsible for helping customers in India adopt IBM technologies, and influenced significant IBM revenue. Interacted with and made presentations to senior executives from over a hundred companies. Gave technical presentations and established relationships with over twenty top universities in India.
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York.
Research Staff Member, September 1992 – April 2006.
Senior Manager, Emerging System Software (Most Recent Position)
- Led a department with about 30 people conducting research in different areas related to system software for high performance servers. Responsible for IBM Research strategy on Deep Computing Software. Worked closely with partners in IBM Systems and Technology Group and IBM customers. Key projects included:
- Blue Gene: Led the development of software for the Blue Gene/L system, which successfully scaled to unprecedented levels of over a hundred thousand processors, and dominated the supercomputing landscape when it was introduced, accounting for 5 of the Top 10 systems in the June 2005 TOP500 list of supercomputers. Helped transform Blue Gene/L from a research project into a successful product offering from IBM. The third generation system in this series, Blue Gene/Q, accounts for 2 of the fastest 6 machines in the world today, as per the latest TOP500 list from June 2016.
- End-to-end performance for high end servers: Led the team in research on end-to-end performance of J2EE workloads on IBM POWER based servers, leading to significant improvements in the performance of WebSphere Application Server benchmarks on POWER4 and POWER5 based systems.
- HPC Toolkit: Led the team that developed the HPC Toolkit, a performance toolkit for IBM System p and Blue Gene parallel systems. This toolkit includes a CPU profiler, hardware performance monitor library, MPI tracer, simulator for memory analysis, and an integrated performance visualizer. The toolkit was used by over 250 IBM customers.
Manager, High Performance Programming Environments.
Led research in compilers for high performance computing and Java Virtual Machine optimizations. Key projects included:
- Java Virtual Machine optimizations : Pioneered the development of optimizations like escape analysis for Java, type based garbage collection and data locality enhancements, optimizing Java codes in the presence of precise exceptions, and improving the security performance of J2EE codes.
- Numerically Intensive Java (NINJA): Demonstrated techniques that improved the performance of numerically intensive Java codes by one to two orders of magnitude. The new techniques included creating exception-free and alias-free regions of computations, design of a multidimensional array package for Java, and semantic expansion of method calls.
Research Staff Member, Parallel Translators (PTRAN) Group.
- HPF Compiler: Was one of the leading contributors to development of the IBM High Performance Fortran (XL HPF) compiler for the IBM SP2 parallel system. Implemented the communication analysis and communication code generation component of the compiler, while advancing the state-of-the-art by developing a framework for global communication optimizations.
Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, Washington.
Summer Intern - May 1989 to August 1989.
Awards and Recognition
- Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering, 2015.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, IIT Delhi, 2014.
- ACM Fellow, 2012.
- Fifth Plateau Invention Achievement Award, IBM, 2012.
- Outstanding Innovation Award for “Escape Analysis for Java”, IBM, 2010.
- US National Medal of Technology and Innovation to IBM for Blue Gene, October 2009
- (received from US President Barack Obama by IBM CEO Sam Palmisano)
- Elected to IBM Academy of Technology, 2008.
- IBM India Award for University Relations, 2008.
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, with invitation to Corporate Technical
- Recognition Event (Blue Gene), IBM, April 2005.
- The Lou Gerstner Award for Client Excellence, IBM, April 2005.
- IBM E&TS Excellence Award for Best Collaborative Innovation, 2005
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award (HPF Compiler), IBM, October 1996.
- Winner, OSU ACM Programming Contest, October 1987.
- Best B.Tech. Project, IIT Delhi, May 1987.
- National Talent Scholarship, Govt. of India, July 1981 to June 1987
Technologies for learning, machine learning, program analysis, high performance computing
Journals, Magazines, Book Chapters
- S Bhattacharya, K Gopinath, K Rajamani, M Gupta. Software Bloat and Wasted Joules: Is Modularity a Hurdle to Green Software? IEEE Computer, 44 (9), 97-101, 2011.
- G Bhanot, JM Dennis, J Edwards, W Grabowski, M Gupta, K Jordan, RD Loft, J Sexton, A St-Cyr, SJ Thomas, HM Tufo, T Voran, R Walkup, AA Wyszogrodski. Early experiences with the 360TF IBM Blue Gene/L platform. International Journal of Computational Methods, 5 (02), 237-253, 2008.
- BR De Supinski et al. BlueGene/L applications: Parallelism on a massive scale. International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, 22 (1), 33-51, 2008.
- T Agerwala, M Gupta. Systems research challenges: A scale-out perspective. IBM Journal of Research and Development 50 (2.3), 173-180, 2006.
- S Chatterjee, LR Bachega, P Bergner, KA Dockser, JA Gunnels, M Gupta, FG Gustavson, CA Lapkowski, GK Liu, M Mendell, R Nair, CD Wait, TJC Ward, P Wu. Design and exploitation of a high-performance SIMD floating-point unit for Blue Gene/L. IBM Journal of Research and Development, 49 (2.3), 377-39, 2005.
- JE Moreira at al. Blue Gene/L programming and operating environment. IBM Journal of Research and Development, 49 (2.3), 367-376, 2005.
- JD Choi, M Gupta, MJ Serrano, VC Sreedhar, SP Midkiff. Stack allocation and synchronization optimizations for Java using escape analysis. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems (TOPLAS), 25 (6), 876-910, 2003.
- José E. Moreira, Samuel P. Midkiff, Manish Gupta. Supporting multidimensional arrays in Java. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 15(3-5): 317-340 (2003).
- Pramod G. Joisha, Samuel P. Midkiff, Mauricio J. Serrano, Manish Gupta. Efficiently Adapting Java Binaries in Limited Memory Contexts. International Journal of Parallel Programming, 30(4): 257-289, 2002.
- José E. Moreira, Samuel P. Midkiff, Manish Gupta, Peng Wu, George S. Almasi, Pedro V. Artigas. NINJA: Java for high performance numerical computing. Scientific Programming, 10(1): 19-33, 2002.
- JE Moreira, SP Midkiff, M Gupta, PV Artigas, P Wu, G Almasi. The NINJA project. Communications of the ACM, 44 (10), 102-109, 2001.
- F. Allen et al. Blue Gene: a vision for protein science using a petaflop supercomputer. IBM Systems Journal, 40 (2), 310-327, 2001.
- Y Shuf, MJ Serrano, M Gupta, JP Singh. A study of memory behavior of Java workloads. Java Microarchitectures, 19-39.
- Manish Gupta. A Framework for Global Communication Analysis and Optimizations. Compiler Optimizations for Scalable Parallel Systems Languages, 485-524, 2001.
- Manish Gupta, Sayak Mukhopadhyay, Navin Sinha. Automatic Parallelization of Recursive Procedures. International Journal of Parallel Programming, 28(6): 537-562, 2000.
- David M Brooks, Pradip Bose, Stanley E Schuster, Hans Jacobson, Prabhakar N Kudva, Alper Buyuktosunoglu, J-D Wellman, Victor Zyuban, Manish Gupta, Peter W Cook. Power-aware microarchitecture: Design and modeling challenges for next-generation microprocessors. IEEE Micro 20 (6), 26-44, 2000.
- JE Moreira, SP Midkiff, M Gupta. From flop to megaflops: Java for technical computing. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems (TOPLAS), 22 (2), 265-295, 2000.
- Pedro V. Artigas, Manish Gupta, Samuel P. Midkiff, José E. Moreira. Automatic Loop Transformations and Parallelization for Java. Parallel Processing Letters, 10(2/3): 153-164, 2000.
- JE Moreira, SP Midkiff, M Gupta, PV Artigas, M Snir, RD Lawrence. Java programming for high-performance numerical computing. IBM Systems Journal, 39 (1), 21-56, 2000.
- JE Moreira, SP Midkiff, M Gupta. A comparison of Java, C/C++, and Fortran for numerical computing. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 40 (5), 102-105, 1998.
- Manish Gupta, Edith Schonberg. Static analysis to reduce synchronization costs data-parallel programs with remote memory copy. Parallel Processing Letters 7 (02), 145-156, 1997.
- M Gupta, E Schonberg, H Srinivasan. A unified framework for optimizing communication in data-parallel programs. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 7 (7), 689-704, 1996.
- P. Banerjee, J.A. Chandy, M. Gupta, E.W. Hodges IV, J.G. Holm, A Lain, D.J. Palermo, S. Ramaswamy, E. Su. The PARADIGM compiler for distributed-memory multicomputers. IEEE Computer, 28 (10), 37-47, 1995.
- M Gupta, P Banerjee. Compile-time estimation of communication costs of programs. Journal of Programming Languages, 2, 191-226, 1994.
- Manish Gupta, Prithviraj Banerjee. Demonstration of automatic data partitioning techniques for parallelizing compilers on multicomputers. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 3 (2), 179-193, 1992.
- Manish Gupta, Kyungsook Y. Lee. The n-Omega: An Omega-like Topology for Distributed-Memory Multiprocessors. Journal of Parallel & Distributed Computing 9(4): 398-410, 1990.
- Suparna Bhattacharya, Karthick Rajamani, Kanchi Gopinath, Manish Gupta. Does lean imply green?: A study of the power performance implications of Java runtime bloat. ACM SIGMETRICS 2012: 259-270, 2012.
- Suparna Bhattacharya, Mangala Gowri Nanda, Kanchi Gopinath, Manish Gupta. Reuse, Recycle to De-bloat Software. European Conference on Object Oriented Programming (ECOOP), 408-432, 2011.
- Hao Yu, Ramendra K. Sahoo, C. Howson, G. Almasi, José G. Castaños, Manish Gupta, José E. Moreira, J. J. Parker, Thomas Engelsiepen, Robert B. Ross, Rajeev Thakur, Robert Latham, William D. Gropp. High performance file I/O for the Blue Gene/L supercomputer. High-Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA): 187-196, 2006.
- Hiroshi Akiba, Tomonobu Ohyama, Yoshinoir Shibata, Kiyoshi Yuyama, Yoshikazu Katai, Ryuichi Takeuchi, Takeshi Hoshino, Shinobu Yoshimura, Hirohisa Noguchi, Manish Gupta, John A. Gunnels, Vernon Austel, Yogish Sabharwal, Rahul Garg, Shoji Kato, Takashi Kawakami, Satoru Todokoro, Junko Ikeda. Gordon Bell finalists I - Large scale drop impact analysis of mobile phone using ADVC on Blue Gene/L. SC: 46, 2006.
- Valentina Salapura, Randy Bickford, Matthias A. Blumrich, Arthur A. Bright, Dong Chen, Paul Coteus, Alan Gara, Mark Giampapa, Michael Gschwind, Manish Gupta, Shawn Hall, Ruud A. Haring, Philip Heidelberger, Dirk Hoenicke, Gerard V. Kopcsay, Martin Ohmacht, Rick A. Rand, Todd Takken, Pavlos Vranas. Power and performance optimization at the system level. Computing Frontiers: 125-132, 2005.
- Yinglung Liang, Yanyong Zhang, Anand Sivasubramaniam, Ramendra K. Sahoo, José E. Moreira, Manish Gupta. Filtering Failure Logs for a BlueGene/L Prototype. Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN): 476-485, 2005.
- Adam J. Oliner, Larry Rudolph, Ramendra K. Sahoo, José E. Moreira, Manish Gupta.
- Probabilistic QoS Guarantees for Supercomputing Systems. Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN): 634-643, 2005.
- George S. Almasi, Gyan Bhanot, Dong Chen, Maria Eleftheriou, Blake G. Fitch, Alan Gara, Robert S. Germain, John A. Gunnels, Manish Gupta, Philip Heidelberger, Michael Pitman, Aleksandr Rayshubskiy, James C. Sexton, Frank Suits, Pavlos Vranas, Robert Walkup, T. J. Christopher Ward, Yuriy Zhestkov, Alessandro Curioni, Wanda Andreoni, Charles Archer, José E. Moreira, Richard Loft, Henry M. Tufo, Theron Voran, Katherine Riley. Early Experience with Scientific Applications on the Blue Gene/L Supercomputer. Euro-Par: 560-570, 2005.
- George Almási, Gyan Bhanot, Alan Gara, Manish Gupta, James C. Sexton, Robert Walkup, Vasily Bulatov, Andrew W. Cook, Bronis R. de Supinski, James N. Glosli, Jeffrey A. Greenough, François Gygi, Alison Kubota, Steve Louis, Thomas E. Spelce, Frederick H. Streitz, Peter L. Williams, Robert K. Yates, Charles Archer, José E. Moreira, Charles A. Rendleman. Scaling physics and material science applications on a massively parallel Blue Gene/L system. ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS): 246-252, 2005.
- AJ Oliner, RK Sahoo, JE Moreira, M Gupta. Performance implications of periodic checkpointing on large-scale cluster systems. International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), 2005.
- Leonardo R. Bachega, Siddhartha Chatterjee, Kenneth A. Dockser, John A. Gunnels, Manish Gupta, Fred G. Gustavson, Christopher A. Lapkowski, Gary K. Liu, Mark P. Mendell, Charles D. Wait, T. J. Christopher Ward. A High-Performance SIMD Floating Point Unit for BlueGene/L: Architecture, Compilation, and Algorithm Design. ACM International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT): 85-96, 2004.
- Glenn Ammons, Jong-Deok Choi, Manish Gupta, Nikhil Swamy. Finding and Removing Performance Bottlenecks in Large Systems. European Conference on Object Oriented Programming (ECOOP): 170-194, 2004.
- Adam J. Oliner, Ramendra K. Sahoo, José E. Moreira, Manish Gupta, Anand Sivasubramaniam. Fault-Aware Job Scheduling for BlueGene/L Systems. International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), 2004.
- C. Richard Attanasio, Jong-Deok Choi, Niteesh Dubey, Kattamuri Ekanadham, Manish Gupta, Tatsushi Inagaki, Kazuaki Ishizaki, Joefon Jann, Robert D. Johnson, Toshio Nakatani, Il Park, Pratap Pattnaik, Mauricio J. Serrano, Stephen E. Smith, Ian M. Steiner, Yefim Shuf. Whole-Stack Analysis and Optimization of Commercial Workloads on Server Systems. NPC: 5-8, 2004.
- George Almási, Siddhartha Chatterjee, Alan Gara, John A. Gunnels, Manish Gupta, Amy Henning, José E. Moreira, Robert Walkup. Unlocking the Performance of the BlueGene/L Supercomputer. SC: 57, 2004.
- Ramendra K. Sahoo, Adam J. Oliner, Irina Rish, Manish Gupta, José E. Moreira, Sheng Ma, Ricardo Vilalta, Anand Sivasubramaniam. Critical event prediction for proactive management in large-scale computer clusters. 9th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD): 426-435, 2003.
- George Almási, Charles Archer, José G. Castaños, Manish Gupta, Xavier Martorell, José E. Moreira, William Gropp, Silvius Rus, Brian R. Toonen. MPI on BlueGene/L: Designing an Efficient General Purpose Messaging Solution for a Large Cellular System. PVM/MPI: 352-361, 2003.
- George Almási, Leonardo R. Bachega, Siddhartha Chatterjee, Manish Gupta, Derek Lieber, Xavier Martorell, José E. Moreira. Enabling Dual-Core Mode in BlueGene/L: Challenges and Solutions. SBAC-PAD: 19-27, 2003.
- Calin Cascaval, José G. Castaños, Luis Ceze, Monty Denneau, Manish Gupta, Derek Lieber, José E. Moreira, Karin Strauss, Henry S. Warren Jr. Evaluation of a Multithreaded Architecture for Cellular Computing. High-Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA): 311-322, 2002.
- Yefim Shuf, Manish Gupta, Hubertus Franke, Andrew W. Appel, Jaswinder Pal Singh:
- Creating and preserving locality of java applications at allocation and garbage collection times. ACM Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA): 13-25, 2002.
- Yefim Shuf, Manish Gupta, Rajesh Bordawekar, Jaswinder Pal Singh. Exploiting prolific types for memory management and optimizations. ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL): 295-306, 2002.
- N. Adiga et al. An overview of the BlueGene/L Supercomputer. SC: 7:1-7:22, 2002.
- Pramod G. Joisha, Samuel P. Midkiff, Mauricio J. Serrano, Manish Gupta. A framework for efficient reuse of binary code in Java. ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS): 440-453, 2001.
- José E. Moreira, Samuel P. Midkiff, Manish Gupta. A comparison of three approaches to language, compiler, and library support for multidimensional arrays in Java. Java Grande: 116-125, 2001.
- Yefim Shuf, Mauricio J. Serrano, Manish Gupta, Jaswinder Pal Singh. Characterizing the memory behavior of Java workloads: a structured view and opportunities for optimizations. SIGMETRICS: 194-205, 2001.
- Manish Gupta, Jong-Deok Choi, Michael Hind. Optimizing Java Programs in the Presence of Exceptions. European Conference on Object Oriented Programming (ECOOP), 422-446, 2000.
- Pedro V. Artigas, Manish Gupta, Samuel P. Midkiff, José E. Moreira.
- Automatic loop transformations and parallelization for Java. ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS): 1-10, 2000.
- Mauricio J. Serrano, Rajesh Bordawekar, Samuel P. Midkiff, Manish Gupta. Quicksilver: a quasi-static compiler for Java. ACM Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA): 66-82, 2000.
- Manish Gupta, Sayak Mukhopadhyay, Navin Sinha. Automatic Parallelization of Recursive Procedures. ACM International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT), 139-148, 1999.
- Chidamber Kulkarni, Koen Danckaert, Francky Catthoor, Manish Gupta. Interaction Between Data Parallel Compilation and Data Transfer and Storage Cost Minimization for Multimedia Applications. Euro-Par, 668-676, 1999.
- Peng Wu, Samuel P. Midkiff, José E. Moreira, Manish Gupta. Efficient Support for Complex Numbers in Java. Java Grande, 109-118, 1999.
- Pedro V. Artigas, Manish Gupta, Samuel P. Midkiff, José E. Moreira. High Performance Numerical Computing in Java: Language and Compiler Issues. Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing (LCPC), 1-17, 1999.
- Jong-Deok Choi, Manish Gupta, Mauricio J. Serrano, Vugranam C. Sreedhar, Samuel P. Midkiff. Escape Analysis for Java. ACM Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA), 1-19, 1999.
- José E. Moreira, Samuel P. Midkiff, Manish Gupta, Rick Lawrence. High Performance Computing with the Array Package for Java: A Case Study using Data Mining. SC, 1999.
- José E. Moreira, Samuel P. Midkiff, Manish Gupta. From Flop to MegaFlops: Java for Technical Computing. Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing (LCPC), 1-17, 1998.
- Manish Gupta, Rahul Nim. Techniques for Speculative Run-Time Parallelization of Loops. Supercomputing, 1998.
- Manish Gupta. On Privatization of Variables for Data-Parallel Execution. International Parallel Processing Symposium, 533-541, 1997.
- Manish Gupta, Samuel P. Midkiff. A Compiler for the IBM Scalable Shared Memory Project Machine. Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing (LCPC), 416-418, 1997.
- Soumen Chakrabarti, Manish Gupta, Jong-Deok Choi. Global Communication Analysis and Optimization. ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Languages Design and Implementation (PLDI), 68-78, 1996.
- Manish Gupta, Edith Schonberg. Static Analysis to Reduce Synchronization Costs in Data-Parallel Programs. ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL), 322-332, 1996.
- Manish Gupta, Samuel P. Midkiff, Edith Schonberg, Ven Seshadri, David Shields, Ko-Yang Wang, Wai-Mee Ching, Ton Ngo. An HPF Compiler for the IBM SP2. Supercomputing, 1995.
- Manish Gupta, Edith Schonberg, Harini Srinivasan. A Unified Data-Flow Framework for Optimizing Communication. Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing (LCPC), 266-282, 1994.
- Manish Gupta, Prithviraj Banerjee. PARADIGM: A Compiler for Automatic Data Distribution on Multicomputers. International Conference on Supercomputing, 87-96, 1993.
- Manish Gupta, Edith Schonberg. A Framework for Exploiting Data Availability to Opimize Communication. Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing (LCPC), 216-233, 1993.
- Manish Gupta, Prithviraj Banerjee. A methodology for high-level synthesis of communication on multicomputers. ACM International Conference on Supercomputing, 357-367, 1992.
- Manish Gupta, Prithviraj Banerjee. Compile-Time Estimation of Communication Costs on Multicomputers. International Parallel Processing Symposium, 470-475, 1992.
- Manish Gupta, David Padua. Effects of program parallelization and stripmining transformation on cache performance in a multiprocessor. International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), 1991.
- Manish Gupta, Prithviraj Banerjee. Automatic data partitioning on distributed memory multiprocessors. Distributed Memory Computing Conference, 1991.
Automatic pipeline parallelization of sequential code,
Pradeep Varma, Manish Gupta, Monika Gupta, Naga Praveen Kumar Katta.
United States Patent 8,949,809, February 2015.
Clustering threads based on contention patterns,
Manish Gupta, Anithra P. Janakiraman, Prashanth K. Nageshappa, Srivatsa Vaddagiri.
United States Patent 8,645,963, February 2014.
Compiler driven mechanism for registration and deregistration of memory pages,
Dibyendu Das, Manish Gupta.
United States Patent 8,612,953, December 2013.
Managing migration ready queue associated with each processor based on the migration ready status of the tasks,
Srivatsa Vaddagiri, Manish Gupta.
United States Patent 8,352,946, January 2013.
Thread-to-processor assignment based on affinity identifiers,
Manish Gupta, Anithra P Janakiraman.
United States Patent 8,332,852, December 2012.
High efficiency compilation framework for streamlining the execution of compiled code,
Dibyendu Das, Kandasamy M, Vidya Ranganathan, Manish Gupta.
United States Patent 8,250,552, August 2012.
Vector unit in a processor enabled to replicate data on a first portion of a data bus to primary and secondary registers,
Siddhartha Chatterjee, Kenneth Dockser, Fred Gustavson Gustavson, Manish Gupta.
United States Patent 8,200,945, June 2012
Method for Computation-Communication Overlap in MPI Applications,
Dibyendu Das, Manish Gupta, Rajan Ravindran, Bhaskaran Venkatsubramaniam.
United States Patent US 8,104,029, January 2012
Hybrid event prediction and system control,
M Gupta, JE Moreira, AJ Oliner, RK Sahoo.
US Patent 7,895,323, February 2011.
Hybrid method for event prediction and system control,
M Gupta, JE Moreira, AJ Oliner, RK Sahoo
US Patent 7,451,210, November 2008.
Method for reducing write barrier overhead,
Y Shuf, M Gupta, R Bordawekar.
US Patent 7,210,122, April 2007.
Method for compiling program components in a mixed static and dynamic environment
R Bordawekar, M Gupta, SP Midkiff, MJ Serrano
US Patent 6,973,646, December 2005.
Method for efficient garbage collection based on object type,
Y Shuf, M Gupta, R Bordawekar.
US Patent 6,892,212, May 2005.
Method and apparatus for efficient virtual memory management,
Y Shuf, H Franke, M Gupta, M Snir.
US Patent 6,886,085, April 2005.
Method and apparatus for efficient cache management and avoiding unnecessary cache traffic,
Y Shuf, H Franke, M Gupta.
US Patent 6,643,741, November 2003.
Method for optimizing locks in computer programs,
JD Choi, M Gupta, MJ Serrano, VC Sreedhar, SP Midkiff.
US Patent 6,530,079, March 2003.
Methods and apparatus for optimizing programs in the presence of exceptions,
JD Choi, M Gupta, M Hind.
US Patent 6,487,716, November 2002.
Method for optimizing creation and destruction of objects in computer programs,
JD Choi, M Gupta, MJ Serrano, VC Sreedhar, SP Midkiff.
US Patent 6,381,738, April 2002.
Method for optimizing array bounds checks in programs,
M Gupta, SP Midkiff, JE Moreira.
US Patent 6,343,375, January 2002.
Selected Invited Presentations
- Using Data Science and Cloud to Scale and Personalize Services. Keynote presentation at IEEE International Conference on Cloud and Autonomic Computing (ICCAC 2016)
- Augsburg, Germany, September 12-16, 2016.
- Keeping Human at the Center of Information Technology Advances to Scale and Personalize Services. Keynote presentation at India HCI 2015, IIT Guwahati, Dec 2015.
- Using Data Science to Scale and Personalize Services. Keynote presentation at 13th International Conference on Service Oriented Computing (ICSOC), Goa, November 2015.
- Challenges in Personalization of Services at Massive Scale. Keynote presentation at 8th ACM International Conference on Distributed Event Based Systems (DEBS), Mumbai, May 2014.
- It’s a Great Time to be a Computer Scientist: Opportunities for Societal Impact. Invited presentation at ACM India Conference, IIT Delhi, February 2014.
- Computing Challenges for the Brave New World. Keynote presentation at HiPC 2011, December 2011.
- Building a Smarter Planet: An Emerging Regions’ Perspective. Keynote presentation at ICM Horizons 2011, Singapore, August 2011.
- Services Innovations in India: An Opportunity for Global Leadership. Invited presentation at Emerging Markets Forum (organized by UMD Robert Smith School of Business), Washington D.C., April 2011.
- Spoken Web: A Cloud Hosted Web for All. Keynote presentation at W4A 2011, held with International World Wide Web Conference, Hyderabad, March 2011.
- Spoken Web: A Parallel Web for the Masses. Keynote presentation at ICDCN 2010, Kolkata, January 2010.
- Massively Parallel Systems: Ready or Not, Here They Come. Distinguished Lecture at Texas A&M University, September 2006.
- India: From Low Cost to Strategic Partnerships. Keynote presentation at SEDS 2006, Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode, August 2006.
- Massively Parallel Systems: Ready or Not, Here They Come. Keynote presentation at International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), Rhodes, Greece, April 2006.
- Massively Parallel Systems: Headache or Sliced Bread? Keynote presentation at Hot Interconnects Symposium, Stanford University, August 2005.
- Challenges in Programming and Managing Highly Parallel Systems. Keynote presentation at Second Workshop on System Management Tools for Large-Scale Parallel Systems, IPDPS, April 2005.
- The IBM Blue Gene/L Supercomputer. Keynote presentation at 3rd Annual Workshop on Charm++ and its Applications, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, October 2004.
- Blue Gene/L: A Powerful Platform for Simulation, Keynote presentation at the European Conference on Simulation and Modeling (ESMc03), Naples, Italy, October 2003.
- Programming Challenges for Next Generation Parallel Machines, Keynote presentation at the Workshop on OpenMP Applications and Tools, Toronto, Canada, June 2003.
- High Performance Numerical Computing in Java. Keynote presentation at the Java in HPC Workshop at HPCN Conference, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 1999.
- Co-Chair, "Data Science in India" at KDD 2016 in San Francisco and KDD 2015 in Sydney.
- General Co-Chair, ACM IKDD Conference on Data Sciences (CoDS 2015), March 2015.
- Co-Chair, Indo-US Workshop on Data Analytics, Indian Institute of Science, December 2011.
- Workshops and Tutorials Co-Chair, 15th ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming (PPoPP 2010), January 2010, Bangalore, India.
- Program Vice Chair (Systems Software), International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC 2007), December 2007, Goa, India.
- Co-chair, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Workshops on Java for High Performance Computing (at ICS 1999-2001).
- Co-chair, 13th International Workshop on Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing (LCPC), August 2000, Yorktown Heights, NY.
Other Professional Activities
- Chair, IKDD, ACM India Chapter for Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.
- Member, Faculty Selection and Review Committee, IIIT Delhi, 2016.
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee (2015-17) and Research I Technical Board, Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) department at IIT Kanpur, 2015-16.
- Member, Expert Panel for reviewing CSE department at IIT Kanpur, 2014.
- Technical Advisory Committee Member, SQC & OR, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, 2010-2012.
- Senate Member, Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi (IIIT-Delhi), 2008-2010.
- Member, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Innovation Council, 2011-2012.
- Member, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) Innovation Council, 2010-2012.
- NSF Committee of Visitors (reviewed NSF programs for Computer Systems Research), March 2006.
- Guest Editor, IBM Journal of Research and Development, March-May 2005.
- NSF Panels, June 2004, April 2001, June 2000.