- About Us
- Masters Programmes
- Integrated Masters Programmes
- Research Programmes
- Continuing Professional Education
- Verification Process
Research & Innovation
Centres & Platforms
- E-Health Research Centre (EHRC)
- Machine Intelligence & Robotics CoE (MINRO)
- Centre for IT & Public Policy (CITAPP)
- Cognitive Computing CoE (CCC)
- Centre for Accessibility in the Global South (CAGS)
- COMET Tech Innovation Hub (NM-ICPS)
- IIITB Innovation Centre
- Modular Open-Source Identity Platform (MOSIP)
- IMACX Open Innovation Platform (IMACX)
- Campus Life
Associate Professor, iM.Tech Coordinator and Faculty in-charge-Labs
Education : Ph.D. (University of Alabama)
Madhav Rao received his Ph.D in Electrical Engineering from the University of Alabama, Master of Science in Microelectronics from University of Arkansas, and BE in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from University of Mumbai.
His group is working on Evolutionary algorithms for standard cell synthesis, Approximate computing VLSI circuit design, and Hardware efficient AI designs. He is also involved in the development of surgical and assistive biomedical devices in collaboration with NIMHANS faculty group. He is a recipient of Visvesvaraya Young Faculty fellowship award, sponsored by MEITY, India for the year 2016-2020.
At IIITB, he leads HiDES and SARL labs.
- Research Interests:
- Honors and Awards
- Selected Publications
- Research & Consulting
- Other Information
VLSI Architecture Design, Evolutionary design for standard cell synthesis, Hardware aware Neural Network architecture (search) design, Approximate computing VLSI design, FPGA optimized CNN and AI designs for edge computing applications, VLSI design for Image and Signal processing applications, Assistive biomedical devices, Surgical and autonomous robotics.
IBM GUP Academic award (2021-22), IBM SUR Award (2018-20), Visvesvaraya Young Faculty fellowship award, MEITY (2016-2020), Early Career Research Award, SERB (2014-2017)
(more detailed publication list is available in the lab webpage.)
- Prashanth H C, and Madhav Rao, " Evolutionary Standard Cell Synthesis of Unconventional Designs", accepted in Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI, June 2022.
- Prashanth H C, Soujanya S R, Bindu G Gowda and Madhav Rao, "Design and Evaluation of In-Exact Compressor based Approximate Multipliers", accepted in Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI, June 2022.
- Omkar Ratnaparkhi and Madhav Rao, "LEAD: Logarithmic Exponent Approximate Divider For Image Quantization Application", accepted in Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI, June 2022.
- Yashaswi M, Viraj K Bharadwaj, and Madhav Rao, Novel Approximate Multiplier Designs for Edge Detection Application, 2021 Proceedings of the 2021 on Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI, June 2021.
- Vinay K, Krishna Nagaraj, H R Arvinda, Vikas Vazhayil, and Madhav Rao, Design of a Device for Lower Limb Prophylaxis and Exercise, IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine, 1-7, 2020.
- Karthik S, Karthick D, Sanjaya M V, and Madhav Rao, Design and Implementation of a Low Power Ternary Content Addressable Memory (TCAM), 2020 International SoC Design Conference (ISOCC), October, 2020.
- Pranav Kedia, and Madhav Rao, GenGrid: A Generalised Distributed Experimental Environmental Grid for Swarm Robotic, 2021 International conference on Robotics and Automation, May 30-June 4, 2021
- Vinay C K, Vikas Vazhayil, and Madhav Rao, Design of a real time portable low-cost multi-channel surface electromyography system to aid neuromuscular disorder and post stroke rehabilitation patients, 2020 42nd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society (EMBC)), July, 2020.
- Ajay Ramesh, Nithin Raj, T K Srikanth, and Madhav Rao, Design of a tactile audio gallery for visually impaired students, 2019 IEEE SENSORS, October, 2019.
- Prajwal Sharma, Vinay K, Krishna Nagaraj, Vikas Vazhayil, and Madhav Rao, Design of a minimally invasive ECG regulated ventricular assistive device, CSI Transactions on ICT, 7, 167-174,2019.
Design and analysis of VLSI Subsystem (IIITB, Starting at NPTEL in Jan 2022),
VLSI Architecture Design (IIITB)
Digital CMOS VLSI Design (IIITB),
Autonomous Robotics (at Samsung),
Electronic devices and Circuit Theory & Lab (IIITB),
Basic Electronics Lab (IIITB)
Analog Circuits Lab (IIITB)
ASD screening device, sponsored by IBM GUP [2021-22].
Mental health distress levels identification, sponsored by IBM GUP [2022-23].
Center of Internet of Ethical Things by GoK [2022-27]
AI assisted anthropomimetic upper limb device, sponsored by IBM SUR [2018-20].
Development of anthropomimetic upper limb device, sponsored by MSJE [2018-2021].
Single Touch automated Citizen Safety Emergency Response and Evidence Capture System, sponsored by [MEITY 2017-2020]
Development of electric current driven nanomagnetic logic device, sponsored by SERB [2014-2017]
INTEL sponsored Galileo board curriculum design 
INTEL sponsored FICE workshop for high school students 
ESDM Research Center [2013-14]
IEEE Senior Member